Monday, August 3, 2009

Back in the saddle

Almost a year. Bad boy!

Not that I haven't been cycling. Just haven't been commuting to work on two wheels.

When we last left off, I was digesting the bike-friendliness of the platforms of the top candidates for president. Well, we know how that turned out. No need to go any further.

Recently picked up a new commuter rig for the ride to work. A Trek 7.3FX. Outfitted with a rear rack and panniers to carry my stuff. Get's the computer and work gear off my back. Still gotta figure out how to lighten the load.

Since last writing, I've changed jobs - same company, but different building. They don't allow bikes in the building, but they do have a bike rack in the parking garage - under cover and near the attendant's booth. Have secured the 7.3 with a Kryptonite U-Lock and an attached cable running through the vitals. Have a second cable lock on the thing for window dressing.

So this morning ...

17.3 miles in 1 hour 13 minutes. Don't feel like I pushed it too hard. Just right.

Am also making it my new habit to do my weekend grocery store runs on the bike. Do the big grocery run in middle of the week in the car and pick up fresh food for grilling on the weekends with the bike. The grocery bag panniers I picked up from REI are plenty big for the task - large enough to pick up a six pack of something tasty to enjoy while preparing the meal.

That's all for today. Feels good to be back in the saddle.

No comments: