Sunday, August 23, 2009

Trail completed

Up early this morning. I really like that part of the day. Everything's still waking up. Sat on the front porch, sipping some java and reading James Lee Burke's Rain Gods. Classic Jimmy Lee.

Church. Lunch. Time to do a little riding. Explored some of the surrounding neighborhoods and then figured I'd check to see if they'd finished paving the McDowell Creek Greenway.

Hate to to admit this, but I was surprised to find that they had indeed paved the remaining quarter mile stretch past the pond and over the spillway bridge behind the neighborhood. This means that the entire 1.5 mile greenway from Sam Furr Road to Westmoreland is now complete. I guess for some reason I figured that because it was a county government project and all ... well, you get the picture.



After a spin on the greenway it was time to head to the grocery store for tonight's grillin' bits. I think they're getting used to seeing the "bicycle guy" at the Harris Teeter on Saturday and Sunday. The lady at the self check-out is asking me how the riding has been going. I tell her it's going great and that it burns calories so I can drink the beer that I'm packing into my grocery pannier. She smiles and checks my I.D.. I tell her it also keeps me looking young so that she'll have to keep checking my age.

She smiles, and I can almost read her thoughts. "Sure it does honey, you keep believing that."

No comments: