Sunday, August 24, 2008

Test run

Rode the commuter route this morning. Turns out to be closer to 19 miles each way. Tried to stay at an easy commute pace - just over 15 mph. Took 1 hour 15 minutes to the office, 1 hour 9 minutes coming home. I've mapped the ride at http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/nc/huntersville/556913820100

Overall, the roads were not bad. With the exception of one 1-mile stretch, I believe that I have pretty good margin and/or escape routes if motorists get aggressive. Took a few pics along the way:

Cut through the neighborhood across the street from mine and past the golf course. Fore! (Mile 1.5)

Northcross drive - take this to Stumptown road and then to US 21. Margin in the middle for motorists to get around me. (Mile 2.5)

US 21 - has more center lane than I originally thought. More room for cars to get around me. (Mile 7)

I'm diggin' this! Wide shoulder just north of Harris Blvd on US 21. Is that a future bike path to the right?! Can't be - too progressive. (Mile 8.5)

A nice addition to the commuter bike - a rearview mirror. I like knowing what's coming from behind. May have to put one on the roadie.

US 21 overpass over I-85. US 21 is now two lanes with good shoulder. (Mile 15)

Well, maybe not so great on the shoulder, but there is sidewalk. Uptown Charlotte is in the distance. My destination is across the street from the tallest building you see - the Bank of America Corporate Center. (Mile 15)

After cutting through some of the Uptown neighborhoods, I hop onto Tryon street. This is the main drag thru Uptown. (Mile 18)

The BAC Corp Center from Tryon and 6th street - I'm now two blocks from the office. (Mile 18+)

The Independence Center - were my office is located. (Destination)

Ride time - 1 hour 15 minutes and change. Slightly faster on the return trip.

Soooo. Next step is to do this for real. Most likely next Wednesday. Will probably do this multi-modal. Commute the entire route in the morning and slap the ride on the 77x or 48x bus in the evening. I'll still get a short ride from the bus stop to home after work. 

No comments: